Friday 28th October
Process: Making the Medical Kit
I started off buying a meter of brown cotton, I the lined my bottles up and measured the length, width and depth. I then made a pattern using my measurements and multiplied it by 3. I also made a pattern for the middle flaps, which was half the width and ⅓ of the length of the whole kit. I then proceeded to pin on the pattern and cut it out. After I put them back to back so the inside was on the outside and started to pin and sew the kit up starting with the middle flaps.
Leaving one bottom seam open I used some spray mount to stick some cotton wool on the inside so it wouldn’t bunch up or move, I then turned the kit out and used some more spray mount to put some cardboard into the middle section of the kit where the bottles will be held. Then I sewed up the last seam with the black ribbon in the centre. I then aged the button by scraping sandpaper over it and sew the button just above the ribbon.
I got some regular elastic and dyed it using coffee, and then I marked out where to sew by putting the bottles down and marking it with a pin. I made sure to stretch the elastic around the bottles so that they wouldn’t fall out. After I had pinned it all I sewed the elastic on I did the same for the separate equipment like the scissors and twisters.
To make the white circle and red cross I used the outline of a masking tape roll, and used acrylic paint, to make it smooth I went over the top with some sandpaper. I then made it look older by going over the fabric with sandpaper and a file, and then I got some coffee to stain the fabric and also mixed some silver and black paint and dry brush it across the fabric.
No comments:
Post a Comment